- 1974-1976 - Kyiv High Military College
- 1976-1981 - Taras Shevchenko Kyiv State University (with Honor)
- 1987 – Ph.D. in Linguistics from the Institute of Linguistics, National Academy of Science
Born 5 February 1956. Married to Dr. Nataliya Ivashyna.
- 1981 to 1992 - Assistant Professor, Associate professor, Docent at the Philological Faculty, Taras Shevchenko Kyiv State University, Deputy Director of the National Institute for Ukrainian Heritage Studies
- 1984 to 1986 - Professor, UNESCO Polytechnic and Agricultural Institute (Katibugou, Republic of Mali)
- 1992 to 2013 - Member of the Board of Trustees, National Institute for Ukrainian Heritage Studies
- 2004 to 2007 - Member of the Scientific Board, Institute for Eastern Studies, Paris-Sorbonne IV
- February 2016 – present - Senior Fellow, MacMillan Center, Yale University
Diplomatic career and experience:
- Director of Information and Press Department of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (1992-1997)
- Minister-Counselor, Embassy of Ukraine to UK (1997)
- Ambassador to Greece and Albania (1997-2000)
- First Deputy Minister, State Secretary of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (2001-2003)
- Ambassador to France and to UNESCO (2003-2007)
- Ambassador to the United Nations (2007-2016).
Experience related to the UN:
- 1994 – member of UN observing mission at the presidential elections in South Africa. Represented Ukraine in the main UN bodies at 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 67, 68, 69, 70th Sessions of UN General Assembly.
- 2008-2009 – President of the 18th Meeting of States Parties to the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea.
- 2011-2012 – Vice-Chairman of the UN Peace-building Commission.
- 2012-2013 – Chairman of the Sixth (Legal) Committee of 67th Session of the UN General Assembly.
- 16 October 2015 – elected member of the UN Security Council for a period 2016-2017
- Diplomatic ranks of Envoy Extraordinary and Minister Plenipotentiary of the 2nd and the 1st Classes (1996 and 1998 correspondingly)
- Rank of Ambassador of Ukraine (2000)
- First Rank of Public Servant (2001)
Awards and Decorations:
- Officer of the State Order of Ukraine “For Merit” (2003)
- Grand Officer of the State Order of Ukraine “For Merit” (2006)
- Honorary Awards of the First Class of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Ukraine (2007, 2014)
- Foreign states awards