Is it possible to count courses from outside the Political Science department toward my major? If so, how do I petition for approval of these courses?

Yes, if the courses had a significant focus on politics. For the Standard Major, you may have 3 outside courses counted. For an Interdisciplinary Concentration, the rules are somewhat different. (Please see the Interdisciplinary Concentration section for more information.)

To petition for approval of an outside course, please print out and complete the “Approved Exceptions” form on the Department’s website ( and submit it (along with the appropriate syllabus) to the DUS Assistant (Rosenkranz Hall, Room 130). You must submit hard copies. You will only receive an email if your petition was not approved; otherwise, you can assume that it was approved. Your form will be filed here, so you do not need to pick it up.