I am a transfer student. Do my grades from my previous institution count toward distinction in my major?

Yes. In order for non-Yale courses to count toward your Political Science major requirements, you must first get approval from the DUS. More information about how to do this can be found under Question 12. If the DUS approves these courses and you have submitted your grades for them to the Undergraduate Registrar (undergrad.polisci@yale.edu), then those grades will be used in your distinction calculations. If you do not provide these grades, they will be entered into your record for CR (credit), which are essentially non-A grades.