Yale University, Respublica and the European Climate Foundation present a three day symposium:
“Toward Citizen-Legislators? The Case of the French Citizen’ Convention for Climate (2019-21).”
See the full schedule and register online at https://campuspress.yale.edu/citizenlegislators.
The perspective of the stakeholders of the Citizens’ Convention for Climate (CCC)
- Chair: Hélène Landemore (Associate Professor of Political Science at Yale University)
- Moderator: Sophie Guillain, Executive director, Partner of Respublica
Screening of selected scenes from Yann Arthus-Bertrand’s documentary on the Convention (3 min)
- Eloïse (citizen, member of the CCC)
- Jean-Pierre (citizen, member of the CCC)
- Mélanie Blanchetot (citizen, member of the CCC)
- Mélanie Cosnier (citizen, member of the CCC)
- Cyril Dion (witness of the CCC – author & screenwriter) – to be confirmed
- Thierry Pech (Co-president of the ruling committee of the CCC – Head of Terra Nova)
- Gilles-Laurent Rayssac (coordinator of the CCC – President of Res publica)
- Sébastien Treyer (member of the CCC’s support group – Head of the IDDRI)
- 3pm CET / 9am ET: Opening remarks and introduction – Hélène Landemore (10 minutes)
- 3:10pm CET / 9:10am ET: 4 members of the CCC respond to 3 general questions (4 X 7 minutes):
- What did you manage to accomplish during this experience?
- From your experience, what does random sortition bring to the political process?
- What role should citizens play in a renewed democracy?
- 3:40pm CET / 9:40am ET: Dialogue with the audience (30 minutes)
- 4:10pm CET / 10:10am ET: The other stakeholders respond to the same questions (5 x 7 minutes)
- 4:45pm CET / 10:45 am ET: Dialogue with the audience (45 minutes)
- 5:30pm CET / 11:30 am ET: Group work (by language) around the question: what can we learn from this experiment? (30 minutes)
- 6pm CET / 12:00 pm ET: Each group shares their ideas (45 minutes / 1 or 2 idées per group, depending on the number of participants)
- 6:45pm CET / 12:45 pm ET: Conclusion of the first session – Hélène Landemore
- 7pm CET / 1:00 pm ET: End of the first session