The Marx Science and Social Science Library Stat Lab presents Sara Gottlieb-Cohen, Yale University Library:
“Data Wrangling in R: Working with Dates and Strings.”
Zoom session, register here: https://schedule.yale.edu/event/7195648
This workshop provides a practical introduction working with date/time and string variables in R.
This workshop assumes experience and comfort with using R for data analytic work. If you are new to R, you should start with the “First Steps in R,” “Second Steps in R,” and “Manipulating Data in R using the Tidyverse” workshops.
Software Used: R, RStudio
This workshop covers:
- Using the lubridate and stringr packages to work with dates and strings, respectively
- Formatting dates and times
- Parsing dates
- Calculating time spans
- Converting time spans (e.g., hours to minutes)
- Trimming whitespace from character strings
- Searching and replacing within character strings
- Regular expressions
- Pattern matching and extracting text of interest