The European Studies Council presents:
Elisenda Vives Balmana, Permanent Representative of Andorra to the United Nations: “Andorra and the EU: Vision of an Agreement.”
1278 is the date of the agreement between two lords for a perpetual peace on Andorra, the base of the unique Andorran political system, a parliamentarian co-principality. A modern Constitution was established in 1993, when Andorra became member of United Nations and started its own foreign policy. It was 25 years ago, an anniversary that precedes the 600 years of its parliament, in 2019.
- Which is the origin of the long-lasting system?
- How Andorra have been able to maintain its independence for centuries?
- Andorra’s ability to maintain its independence for centuries?
- How to balance continuity and change?
- Challenges that Andorra faces in its current negotiations with the EU